Monday 2 April 2007

Video Game Memories?

I had a thought this morning. Do first person video games create the same memories as actually doing something in person? Now before you call me a kook just hear me out. Think back to a time in your life that you remember well, but something at least 10 years ago. Do you remember how things looked, the layout of an old apartment, the interior of a favorite car? Now think back to a first person shooter game, do you remember walking into a room, where things were (if you did it a couple hundred times you most likely do:) ) a broken chair, blinking light?

Now let’s fast forward to the future, let’s say I’m an old man, I’m starting to confuse things. Is it possible that I will remember being in the army because of playing Battlefield 2?
“I remember the day we were pinned down in a little town over in the Gulf of Oman, I was down, but the field meds patched me up good. So I pressed R to reload my rifle, and we kicked the shit out of em!”
“Grandpa, you were never in the war.”
“Listen to me sonny, I remember it like it was yesterday, just like the time the Aliens landed and we sent them packing.”
“Grandpa, that’s was just a video game.”
“That’s no way to speak to a War Vet; you kids today have no respect!”

So, what do you think? Am I crazy, or are we really rotting our brains with all these video games?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I already have some "virtual" memories from the GoldenEye 007 game on Nintendo 64. I haven't played it in years but I remember one of the levels with more clarity than I remember my first apartment.

My wife used to be a caretaker for this guy in his 80's who always told us that George Bush was responsible for starting World War II...could there be a connection here?

Atomic Punk said...

I think I need to get a grant from the Government to do more research on this, I figure a couple million should do it.

Unknown said...

You are definitely on to something. I'll help you write up the grant request.

Ricardo Victoria said...

I have virtual memories of Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana. What? o_O They should count too, even if to show how messed I'm.

Unknown said...

Remember that time when you only needed one more piece of the Tri-Force and then your mom made you turn it off to finish your homework? Oh man! You almost saved Hyrule.