Sunday 15 April 2007

Green Arrow Movie

This week has been reported (http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/778/778978p1.html) that David Goyer is going to film a Green Arrow movie. David Goyer is known as the writer of the superb "Batman Begins" and as decent director (Blade II and Blade Trinity). His latest project, aside "Dark Knights" (sequel of Batman Begins) script, was the failed movie of The Flash with Ryan Reynolds as Flash. But there are four catches in this project: the movie is not going to be called Green Arrow nor something similar, but Super Max; is going to be like superhero-meets-prision break; Ollie would be GA just for the first ten minutes and the rumor is that Brad Pitt will play Ollie.

Here is Goyer's idea: "He's Green Arrow for the first 10 minutes of the movie, and then he's arrested and his secret identity is revealed," Goyer told Wizard. "They shave his goatee and they take his costume and send him to prison for life, and he has to escape. It's like Alcatraz, and he has to team up with, in some cases, some of the very same villains he is responsible for incarcerating in order to get out and clear his name. Of course, tons of people try to kill him while he's in there. We've populated the prison with all sorts of B and C villains from the DC Universe. For the fans, there will be all sorts of characters the hardcore comic book junkies will know, but they're all going to be there under their human names and no one is wearing a costume, but there will be a lot of characters with powers and things like that."

Now here is my opinion: is not secret here that I love GA as much as Supes so hearing the news of a movie is unreal (heck I even have a bow and practice archery because of that). However I have mixed feelings. Goyer is a decent director as I said earlier, but I prefer him as writer than director, he is better at that (but I guess that Christopher Nolan is out of question and Kevin Smith will be in the project just a technical consultant). So while I think the story will be good, I not feel so sure about the rest of the movie.

Second: Brad Pitt? Don't get me wrong, he is a good actor (when he wants to be anyways) and "Fight Club" is a proof of that and that he can play a badass. However I'm not crazy of him being Ollie. Don't ask me why, maybe is just that I like a lot how Justin Hartley portrayed Ollie. But I guess that since GA is not a big name in the mind of the public when they hear of superheroes, Brad Pitt's name can secure the box office.

The story idea: well although the Prision Break aspect is strage, I can say that in GA context makes sense. He is an urban, street level superhero, like Batman, so pitting him against his archenemies in a prision is a fresh take in a comic-to-movie wave where everybody (aside Superman Returns and sequels of Marvel movies)) is telling origins stories. Besides as IGN said, seeing at Ollie making a bow and arrows with scrap material in a prision and beating the crap of supervillians at bare hands is going to be quite cool.

As I said, the idea of a movie sounds cool and I want to see it, so a part of me is really glad (a movie of GA is like a geek dream of me). However the other part of me is sad because that means that WB is going to clamp the idea of a GA series like Smallville with Justin as the lead actor and that maybe we are not going to see anymore GA in Smallville. Unless DC and WB use GA's tv version as a marketing tool for the movie and the he will be back at SV. Who knows?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Green Arrow movie? I like it.
David Goyer? I like it.
Busting out of prison? I like it.
Teaming with his enemies? I like it.
Brad Pitt? Why oh why oh why oh why?