Monday 16 April 2007

Survival skills after a natural catastrophe

Tonight (or last night, depending of the time zone), I was watching in tv a rerun of the movie "The Day after tomorrow". That, coupled with some of the stuff I have been reading during the PhD about how pollution is changing the global weather and the balance of power and needs; and a call from my parents last week about a strong earthquake felt in Mexico, left me thinking on how it would be to live the day after a massive natural catastrophe hit the place where I was living at that moment.


I realize that the premise of the above mentioned movie is far fetched and almost impossible to occur. But they said something similar 20 years ago about the climate patterns and now we have the NiƱo effect. I'm not saying that a massive superstorm will occur, but one can't also say that it never will happen. There is a lot that we ignore about how our planet works and we are so ignorant and/or stubborn to realize that we are not the omnipontent owners of the blue sphere, so I wouldn't be too surprised if tragedies like the Tsunami in Asia in 2004 happen again (a tragedy of which curiously enough, several people around the world dreamed (as in a dream at night, not as a wish) days before, but that is topic for another post).

Following that trail of thought I was musing about how prepared we are or in this case I'm to face the aftermatch of a global phenomenon that change our world and civilization (could be a new Ice Age, an global rise in the temperature producing scarcity of water, the rise of the the sea level covering massive portions of continental land, nuclear winter or biological war aftermath).

Obviously depending the type of event, would be the actions to take, but I guess that the first element of a basic survival skill kit would be the will to survive. Most people that have survived accidents have stated that what helped them to make it through the ordeal was the belief that they will survive, either by the help of a superior power or by sheer strenght of character, maybe a mix of both. The second basic skill would be humility; to learn from our past mistakes, to realize that we are not alone and that we need to work togheter with other survivors. Also some basic knowledge in science and common sense would be useful. During the tsunami event in Asia, people from remote, tribal areas fared better than people from cities, due the communal knowledge, like being watchful and understanding the behaviour of animals (probably the best alarm in the planet). Mother Nature is a wise (yet rude) mistress and she provided the animals with enough common tools to survive these kinds of events. Basic science can help us to keep a average level of health and to cope with different situations (like how to insulate ourselves with makeshift elements in order to deal with a sudden drop of the temperature).

Is a fact that any hunting, survival and even combat skill might come useful (now buying the bow and that katana doesn't sound as stupid as I though first). But maybe the most important paired with the will of make it to another day, is how to be ready. I'm not saying that we need to build a nuclear shelter like during the Cold War, but just taking basic previtions that even goverments (or at least in the case of Mexico) suggest, like having the important papers (such as passports and IDs) in a safe, accesible place, getting canned supplies and emergency kits (medicines, radios, maps, torchs and other stuff) ready for any event.

That should work for the intial days, but I still keep wonder how would be the life after that. Hollywood movies portray either a grim world or a world with hope. I think that both extremes are unreal, in face of how humanity can be its better ally or its worst enemy. Culture would change and the meaning of civilization as well as our paradigms will shift to go along the new situation. Probably a return to basic ways of life would take precedent over the amenities we have grown used to.

This is such a rich topic to keep talking for days, specially when you have a vivid and overactive imagination like mine (I'm already making plans in my head of hunting with my bow and getting a street dog as companion to fence any thug). But right now, my main concern is to evaluate if I'm ready to deal with this kind of situation (specially being far away from home like now) and what I do need to improve and if my life experience and general knowledge will be enough. I guess that is time to get in shape again and get in contact with my future clan.


4 comments:

Atomic Punk said...

OK, I was thinking of buying a bow as well, now I'm sure of it.

I know have in my survival kit(well somewhere in the house anyway)

*Several knives (one very nice Buck survival knive)
*Flashlights that are recharged by hand
*Survival is a dying art, a book I will be re-reading right about now(thanks WL :))
*Tarps
*water jugs
Hummm, might be a good time to gather all thia stuff up(and more) and put it on a tote...need to get to Wal-Mart LOL

Unknown said...

We keep an extra months worth of drinking water in our garage as well as bags of beans and rice and canned food.

I'm not sure if we're preparing for natural disaster or...hehe...unemployment. :P

Ricardo Victoria said...

Glad to know that NAFTAline is oofering good paranoic advice about how to survive catastrophes and unemployment. :)

In a serious note, I guess it comes with the territory of being native of a country asolated by earthquakes and hurricanes every year.

Unknown said...

Natural (or unnatural) disaster could strike any time, any place. Just look at what happened at Virginia Tech yesterday. There is no "safe" place on the planet.

From where I live, to the West is the Cascade Mountain range, the land of volcanoes. To the East is the Rocky Mountains, land of avalanches and killer snowstorms. A little further east is the Mid-west, land of tornados. South of there is the Gulf of Mexico, land of killer hurricanes.

I was trying to think of what could possibly happen here, the land of the Mid-Columbia River. I suppose the Grand Coulee Dam could burst and wash us all out into the Pacific Ocean. Oh yeah...and I live about 20 miles south of a major nuclear power plant and about 30 miles north of a major US Dept. of Defense stockpile of nerve gas...I suppose my neck of the woods isn't exactly as "safe" as some would think!

I don't suppose there's really any practical way to "Be Prepared" completely for all the possibilities that might happen. I might have to invest in a Swiss Army knife though. :P