Thursday 5 April 2007

PDA

Speaking of getting old and losing your mind...the little missus and I went out last night because it was one of those occasions where we had a volunteer baby sitter (Grandma's are wonderful!) and we jumped at the chance to hit the karaoke bar. No, WE are not getting old and losing our minds, I'll get to that later.

Things were kind of slow when we arrived at the bar, in the karaoke room only the guy who emcees the karaoke and his wife/girlfriend? were singing. Everyone else was in the main part of the bar watching baseball. I actually kind of like to arrive when its slow, it gives you a chance to try out a new song or two and get warmed up for when it gets hopping.

So we each took turns singing and listening, my wife looks beautiful and I have my arm around her. Now I have to explain, neither her nor I are very big on Public Displays of Affection (PDA). Putting an arm around a shoulder or quick pecks on the cheek are comfortable when there are strangers around but anything more risque is pushing it. But when we are in the comfort of our own home and the kids are asleep...yeah baby! Ahem...(cold shower).


Unfortunately, as I was reminded again last night, not everyone is as uncomfortable with PDA. and it seems that when blood alcohol level is raised and inhibitions are lowered, instances of high-level PDA increase. This is exemplified by the elderly couple that showed up later on. It was the old codger's birthday and his wife got up to sing him three or four verses of "Happy Birthday To You" with the help of some of her younger drunken companions (daughters maybe?). It wasn't pretty.

Now don't get me wrong. I can appreciate someone expressing their feelings for another, especially when its old people who have had long lasting marriages. And it was obvious that this woman did not care what other people thought as she stood up there cackling out the notes...she was going to sing this song for her man and that was that. It was an unselfish act on her part, probably done out of love, purely for the benefit of the old man. And while the quality of sound was not good...was not really even listenable...everyone in the bar had a smile on their face, I think we all were somewhat touched by the gesture. It was very sweet.

But WHY oh WHY!? Why did they have to go and ruin the moment? As soon as the music stopped she walked back to her table and for the next several minutes, Ma and Pa Kettle proceeded to lick face. There was more tongue there than at a KISS concert. Now I'm a person who looks away and goes "eeeeeewww" during a movie when two attractive movie stars are sharing a screen kiss. Imagine how much more queasy I felt to see two old and shriveled senior citizens licking each other's moustaches and making out like teenagers.

It was gross but there is humor in it too. At some point, people "mature" to the point where they no longer worry about impressing people or looking "cool". It's like they become the opposite of a teenager. Except that they still make out.

3 comments:

Ricardo Victoria said...

I'm going to get nightmares from the images you have described. But I agree with the "not having to worry about being cool" attitude. We need to be more like that.

Mommy2Boys said...

Well, it's too bad you guys get embarrassed with PDA, but I think it is great that those two old farts can still suck face. Personally, I like PDA. Not anything over the top or anything, but cuddling and kissing is nice.

Unknown said...

We aren't too shy to kiss or hug, we just don't use our tongues in public. Like I said it's not the fact that they were being affectionate...it was the fact that they were tasting each other's faces that was just...*shudders*